Writing A Query: What I've Learned

Oh, hey! Sorry I've been gone for a long time...life happens.

ANYWAYS.

I'm at that point where I am getting close to submitting a query to an agent (yikes!). Which means I've been doing a lot of research on queries and how to write a good one. Right now I am on Query Version #10. I probably will have 10 more to go before I have the best I can write. Yes, it takes that many revisions JUST for a query letter. Maybe more. And yes, it's worth it. Think about all the time you put in to writing your book, why should the query letter be any different? After all, the agent will never see your book if they don't like your query.

SO.

My experience with query letter writing:

1. First just vomit your first query letter onto the page. You need to do this just to get it all there on the page so you can cut it down and move things around.

2. Don't get stuck thinking how you wrote it the first time is how it needs to stay. Switch sentences around. Try a new approach.

3. Most important part: THE HOOK. If you don't have this you might as well not have a query. Think about what makes you want to read a book when you read the blurb on the back.

4. Keep. It. Simple.  - Seriously. The point of your query is to tell the agent who your book is about, why we should care about them and what the stakes are. And that's it. Don't give a bunch of backstory. Don't talk about every character.

5. Revise. Give to a Beta Reader. Revise again. And again. I've surprised myself with the changes I've made - subtle but they make a big difference. So don't be afraid to try something new.

Something great I found recently and I can't believe I haven't found earlier is the blog Query Shark. A real-life agent actually critiques your query letter and tells you how to make it better. Yes, you heard me right. Awesome, right?? It's a great blog with a lot of really good advice of what to do and not to do in your query. As we all know by now (hopefully) we learn from mistakes. So check it out here.

I don't think I'm quite there yet, but following these rules and studying what the Query Shark has to say has helped me immensely. I hope it helps you, too!

Happy query writing!


Comments

Popular Posts